Y'all the weather deities have been good to us this month, you should honor them with a Tangerine Pudding Pop! Guess what? They're vegan, too!
Yields: 6-8, 3 oz Pops.
What you'll need:
|Aland's offering to the Bill Cosby gods...|
- 1 Cup Organic Cane Sugar or organic powdered sugar with tapioca cornstarch.
- 1/3 teaspoon Tangerine zest or citrus of your choice( Lime not recommended)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoon of Vanilla Extract
- 1/3 teaspoon of hydrated saffron (optional)
- 1 20 oz container of silken tofu (We like Hodo Soy, and you can find it at Berkeley Farmer's Market or at Berkeley Bowl but Mori-Nu Firm Silken works well, too*).
- 3/4 Cup of coconut milk or Earth balance soy free " butter"* works well too.
- 1 Cup of Freshly squeezed Tangerine juice or Citrus of your choice (again, no lime).
In medium saucepan combine coconut milk, cane sugar, tangerine zest, salt, saffron, tangerine juice and vanilla extract. Whisk and bring to a boil over high heat. Be quick and reduce your mixture to a simmer, KEEP WHISKING, and let it simmer for about 45 seconds to a minute.
Pour your mixture into a blender with your tofu and blend until smooth.
Pour your mixture into a non-metal bowl (acid + metal= not good), cover and toss that bad boy in the fridge for about 1-3 hours.
Once your mixture has completely cooled, you can pour them into your pop mold and let them freeze for at least 6 hours.
We encourage experiments. Try additional spices that go well with citrus or different citruses, altogether...mmm..how's about Meyer's Lemon or Blood Oranges? The world is your oyster kid! Tell us how they turn out!
* Bryant Terry's " Vegan Soul Kitchen," recommends Mori Nu Silken.
* If you choose to use the butter, do not boil, just melt it and let the sugar dissolve.